canon rf 50 mm 1.8 stm prime or sigma ef 50 mm 1.4 art on an adaptor

Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
GammyKnee Contributing Member • Posts: 982
Re: canon rf 50 mm 1.8 stm prime or sigma ef 50 mm 1.4 art on an adaptor

I bought the Sigma Art when I switched to R series bodies because I wanted a fast and fast focusing 50 and I was still in two minds about the EF 50 f/1.2. A little while later I added an RP with the new RF nifty fifty as a small, lightweight "just grab it and shoot" setup.

Like all the nifty fifties that went before it in the EF world, the RF is light, compact and great value for money. That said, if you don't mind the extra size/weight and cost then I'd say that the Sigma Art is superior in virtually every other department: AF speed and accuracy (on R series bodies), sharpness, bokeh, you name it.

Other candidates to consider are the Tokina Opera and of course the EF 50 f/1.2L. I haven't seen much about the Opera, but a while back someone did an excellent side-by-side comparison of the EF 50 f/1.2 vs the Art (wish I could find the link!). I marginally preferred the Canon version of some sample shots  in that comparison (subtle differences in rendering), but I was still happy that I'd gone for the Sigma due to its sharpness wide open, AF speed, freedom from focus shift and so on.

I seriously doubt you'll be disappointed if you get the Sigma.

GammyKnee's gear list:GammyKnee's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow