Is the Panasonic G9, the best option for me?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JC PM
JC PM Regular Member • Posts: 433
Is the Panasonic G9, the best option for me?

Hello there

I am currently a Fuji X-S1 user, really nice camera and basically my first real camera, it is a 2/3” sensor contrast detect AF, but with a great focal length 24-624mm eqv. I have been using my Fuji for basically 8 years and I really think it is time to upgrade; my first choice is the Panasonic G9.

I am quite sure that is going to be a huge upgrade for me, I shoot mainly wildlife (small birds), then some action photography, sometimes product photography and rarely do some Portraits (even thought I enjoy it very much).

My idea is to get a Panasonic 42.5 F1.7 a 14-140 and finally I am not sure if a 100-300 or a 100-400, I have read many reviews and I am quite convinced that the AF is going to be a lot (and I mean a lot) better than what I currently have, but at the same time I have read so many reviews saying that the AF is terrible, I don’t know too much about the Panasonic Systems (besides what I have read) so I wanted to ask the following.

1.- Is the AF (stills) as good as I have read for tracking, AFC and face/eye detection?

2.- I usually do some action photography (Road cycling, running, mountain biking, Downhill/MTB) will be good enough for this?

3.- I normally don’t go over ISO 800, what is the highest ISO you can go without affecting too much image quality?

4.- The not so good reviews about AF, is for video? Maybe because of the pulsing issue or it is for any other reason?

Currently the G9 is at a great price for such a complete camera, so I think it is the time to bite the bullet.

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Juan Carlos Prado M. (JC PM)

JC PM's gear list:JC PM's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1
Fujifilm X-S1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow