What is the last fully upgradeable mac mini?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
whisky
whisky Senior Member • Posts: 1,965
Re: What is the last fully upgradeable mac mini?

The Point and Shoot Pro wrote:

What year was the last fully upgradeable mac mini. Meaning I could upgrade ram, and SSD space at my convenience? Can it run the latest version of MacOS?

Hi, I have a late 2012 MacMini running Catalina. I have had this since new and it has performed well.

Lately I thought that it might be prudent to replace the HDD with a SSD, there already being 128Gb SSD  already installed as part of the Fusion drive.

I bought a 2Tb Crucial SSD and had this installed internally in place of the HDD and set up to continue to function as a Fusion drive.

I got this done by my knowledgeable local Mac repair service and it was not expensive to do. I am very happy with the Mini's performance now and see this as a great improvement.

It has an Intel i7 chip and 16Gb memory installed and runs Catalina which is more than enough for me. I believe my repair shop could possibly go to the later OS's? but I do not need that.

I used to have an iMac but went off this style when it developed issues and had to be replaced. It seems better to me to be able to replace a part rather than the whole system.

I run it via an NEC MultiSync PA272w set up with SpectraView II and an x-rite i1 Display sensor. Good enough for me, I don't go overboard on tech performance data and it is quick.

It's your call, best of luck.

Cheers.

whisky's gear list:whisky's gear list
Sigma SD15 Fujifilm FinePix 6900 Zoom Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow