17-55/2.8 DX - Stiff Manual Focus Ring Question

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
KJ789 New Member • Posts: 21
17-55/2.8 DX - Stiff Manual Focus Ring Question

Hello! I picked up one of these lenses used, and optically and cosmetically it is in great condition. Autofocus works well; there's no VR, of course. Manual focus works fine, too, but the manual focus ring has much more resistance than any of my other Nikon DX lenses. My other AF-S lenses can be manually focused with one finger; this lens I need to grasp the focus ring and turn. Zoom ring turns easily, but it's not as light as some of my other lenses (some of which seem to have no resistance at all).

The "action" of the manual focus ring is not rough or gritty; it's smooth, often with lighter resistance in the middle, with increased resistance and either end of the focus range to the point where it's stiff.  It's almost like a hydraulic resistance, particularly at the ends.  But it autofocuses quickly to either end.

The lens works, the price was right, and I rarely use manual focus.  I was curious as to whether this is normal because of extra weather sealing, or a sign of the age of the lens or some other issue.

Many thanks in advance for any comments/thoughts.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow