OM-1: GPS or not?

Started Feb 15, 2022 | Questions thread
Bassam Guy Veteran Member • Posts: 4,612
Re: OM-1: GPS or not?

Peter Budd wrote:

Same here.

I would have liked a built-in GPS or the option to have an add on accessory. I don't want to have to use my phone to add GPS data. GPS kills the battery on the Phone. I am sometimes in a situation where I cannot recharge my phone for days but I can have spare batteries for the camera. I could always have a GPS add on for my previous Pentax or Nikon cameras, and having to use a phone on the Olympus is a pain in the **

If you have a smartphone, take it with you. It is already tracking you without running a special battery draining app.

Here is what I do every couple months to geotag recent photos for Android/Lightroom:

Google maps

• Click = Hamburger menu
  • Click "Your Data in Maps"
  • Click Download your Maps data
  • Click Location History
  • Click JSON Format, and change to KML
  • (uncheck Maps (your places) and My Maps)
  • Click Next Step
  • Check/uncheck desired options
  • Click Create Archive
  • (should complete within a couple minutes)
  • Download & unzip
  • Convert archive to a common format that LR understands: gpx. I use GPSBabel.

(LR Pukes with more than ~3 months of data (truncates @50,000 Points))

• Select all the photos you want to tag
  • Go to LR Map module. To the right of the lock icon there's a ~ GPS Tracklogs icon.
  • Click the icon and Load Tracklog…
  • Apply tracklog to selected photos

This is usually pretty accurate but I do ride my bike a lot along wooded areas of the VA side of the Potomac River, and sometimes my phone's location is shown across the river in MD

Bassam Guy's gear list:Bassam Guy's gear list
Olympus E-M5 III Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow