Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM discontinued!

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
QuaziSanjeed
QuaziSanjeed Junior Member • Posts: 42
Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM discontinued!

It appears Canon has discontinued a legend of almost three decades EF 400mm f/5.6L USM. I feel deeply saddened for this occurrence. Since its release in 1993; many dedicated bird photographers rated this super telephoto lens as the best glass in the world for Birds In Flight (BIF) photography. When used with APS-C bodies, it produces a focal length of 640mm of full-frame equivalent.

This telephoto prime possesses all the attributes to be the champion BIF lens. Here are the reasons:

• This is the lightest super telephoto prime lens for handheld flight photography. Most of the bird photographers prefer to shoot flying birds with a handheld system.
  • Autofocus is lightning fast.
  • It produces fantastic image quality.
  • The rather small aperture is good enough for capturing action in good light and also under overcast conditions.
  • Granted, it lacks IS however, the fast shutter speed necessary for flight shots adequately compensates for the camera shake. Moreover, if image stabilization technology is incorporated in the lens; it certainly will get heavier.
  • Due to the presence of IBIS in Canon’s mirrorless cameras; this lens is more relevant with the MILCs.

I can only hope that Canon produces a similar lens for its MILCs in the near future. There’s no competitor of this lens for the function it is intended to perform.

I own one for the last 13 years which is still as efficient as new and will take it with me to the grave. Because it produces wonders like this.

QuaziSanjeed's gear list:QuaziSanjeed's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 90D +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow