Sigma 85mm 1.4 vs Canon 85mm 1.4

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
CatchingTime
CatchingTime Regular Member • Posts: 218
Re: Subject at edge of frame

ZX11 wrote:

Besides the lab testing challenges, what is the purpose of wide open and sharp in the corners?

So far all my wide open shots with my RF 85 f1.2 has the corners out of focus and the subject in focus towards the thirds rule, or centered. It occurred to me that corners are out of focus anyway. So, I would never know if the corners are sharp wide open using the EF 85 f1.4.

Corners/edges sharp wide open seem silly to me. Not needed in a lens. Astro sky shots?

I have to disagree, and here's why: Corner sharpness is indeed important for many people (yes, astro, and landscape). For most portraits there is nothing in the corners, so it really doesn't matter if the corners are sharp or not. For astro and landscape, it matters. A lot.

The best example I can think of is the Sigma 104/1.4 Art, arguably one of the best portrait lenses made, aside from it being heavy and a touch long for indoor groups. AF never misses, and the corners are as sharp as any lens I have (including the 40 Art).

Not once when using it for portraits have I ever thought the corners were too sharp, and I've used a grand total of zero other lenses for portraits since getting it. The biggest drawback? Having to clone people's chapped lips in headshots...

Sorry for the tangent, I know that this thread was mostly about the 85, and I was sorry to have to return it.

-- hide signature --

My $0.02 in a world where pennies are obsolete.

CatchingTime's gear list:CatchingTime's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS R5 Sigma 14mm F1.8 Art Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 40mm F1.4 DG HSM +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow