Options for on-prem 8K video player via HDMI?

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
George R Holland Regular Member • Posts: 303
Options for on-prem 8K video player via HDMI?

What is needed to play back 8K video via an HDMI cable connected to a display that can accept and display 8K video?

Seems along with 8K video player software, a Windows PC with a capable graphics card can. Are there other locally hosted external components that can store and playback 8K video?

I am looking for a unicorn GeForce 30 Series graphics card that should support it, either to upgrade my latest PC build or to use for a new PC build using a more current high-end motherboard, CPU and memory.

Is there a way to enable playback from a MacBook Pro M1? It only supports external monitors up to 4K. Is there an external accessory that would allow 8K playback from a MacBook Pro? While I would prefer a mobile 8K source playback option I have not found any way to do this from even the most current and powerful MacBook Pro.

I have a Nikon Z 9 on order. Current support;

8K UHD 7,680×4,320 / 30p (progressive)
8K UHD 7,680×4,320 / 25p
8K UHD 7,680×4,320 / 24p

A future firmware update (in 2022), the 8K recording options will be extended, offering 12-bit RAW 8K/60p in-camera: N-RAW (Nikon’s original RAW video format), and ProRes RAW HQ (in case of RED Digital Cinema will allow it). As for the N-RAW, it will be licensed by a company called intoPIX. If so, this new RAW titled TICO-RAW promises to reduce the bitrate of RAW video by a factor of 10 without impairing the quality.

I have a JVC DLA-RS3100 front projector with a 125 inch 2.35:1 screen.

The JVC projector can support a high-resolution 8K signal input: 8K60p/4K120p. It doesn’t project the native 8K signal, but achieves a display resolution of: 8192 x 4320 (with 8K/e-shiftX).

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow