Used 16-80 DX VR with fungus/haze- What to do?...(Nikon Service Center Question)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
KJ789 New Member • Posts: 21
Used 16-80 DX VR with fungus/haze- What to do?...(Nikon Service Center Question)

I bought a 16-80 dx vr lens used, and belatedly (as in too late to return it) realize that it has either haze or fungus in one of the rear elements.  Very hard to see, but if you extend the lens and use a flashlight, you can see what looks like a lot of tiny water droplets on one edge of the element.

After reading lots of threads on lens fungus, it seems like I need to learn to live with the fact that the lens is permanently damaged and the problem will get worse, and ideally I shouldn't even use the lens.  Or I can try to get it cleaned, which obviously has a cost.

Because I'm stubborn and annoyed, I'm tempted to send the lens to Nikon to see if they can "fix" the issue.  It's a US model, so eligible for service.

Since I've never done this before, anyone have any experience with the likelihood Nikon can restore the lens without spending the equivalent of a news lens, or should I just chalk this up to experience?  The "premium" service is $140, and that doesn't involve anything internal.

Many thanks in advance.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow