CR3 - DNG - TIF and Topaz Sharpen AI

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jboyer
jboyer Senior Member • Posts: 1,311
CR3 - DNG - TIF and Topaz Sharpen AI

Upper left: Original CR3. Lower left:CR3==>TIFF==>Topaz. Upper right: From saved DNG in Topaz

I have too many points of failure. Using Capture One 22 and up to date Topaz Sharpen AI.

• The original CR3 looks like it needs some sharpening (100-400mm with 2x converter at 200 mm) Upper left above
  • First I read the CR3 into Topaz. Looks pretty dark and ugly in Topaz
  • Saved the DNG off Topaz and imported into C1 -- upper right picture above. Wrong WB. Bad color overall
  • Extracted off C1 a 16 bit TIF to process in Topaz. Imported the TIF processed in C1: looks better, imo.

In fact, I am not sure that Topaz reads/convert CR3 files properly and the DNG is par with that 'poor' conversion -- OR I am doing something wrong in my workflow.

The Sharpening process took as long from the CR3 as from the TIF (about same size).

I also noticed in the past that C1 was not that good on DNG rendering.

For that image, I also tried pushing the CR3 to 1000 in sharpening and the results are pretty close to Topaz's.

There was an other post noting that, maybe, Topaz Sharpen AI is a niche product? Using the native sharpening tool in C1 may prove sufficient.

On a different note, the 100-400 Mk1 with 2x (MkII) converter is NOT the optimum combination on an RP camera. What strikes me most is the loss of contrast -- but some might be easy to regain in post.

-- hide signature --
 jboyer's gear list:jboyer's gear list
Canon EOS M100 Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS RP Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +8 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow