Jerry's angels

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Fuji Maine Senior Member • Posts: 1,429
Jerry's angels

Anyone who's spent any time on this forum is well aware that there's two lenses so sacred to our mod Jerry that he'll strike down like a bolt of lightening to challenge a cage fight anyone who dare defame his prized possessions. These two lenses, which I've dubbed "Jerry's angels" are the 16-55 and 100-400. Now clearly I just had to start my post with some tongue in cheek chop busting, because...well it's me. With that I've come to enjoy a few bites of crow.

For as much as there's production shortages causing some product scarcity in the photo market these days there's apparently no shortage of people changing systems from Fuji to other brands. This seems to be pretty good news for those looking to buy used Fuji lenses at a great value. In the last four days I've obtained what I consider to be great deals on Jerry's angels. The 16-55 for $600 and the 100-400 for $800. Not too shabby I'd say!

Up until this week I've been shooting with the Sigma 18-35 1.8 and Sigma 150-600 adapted. Both have served me very well. I had used the 16-55 on three separate occasions on loan from a friend or rented. Those three copies I had tried I found anywhere from underwhelming to unimpressive, especially compared to my 18-35. I've seen several posts throughout time about copy variation being a thing with the 16-55. Maybe not as bad as the 18-55 but not the least common thing either. Well it turns out that I must have used some pretty terrible copies in the past because the one I got is actually REALLY impressive. Now I'm not going to pretend that it has the same optical quality of the Sigma and there's certainly some situations where I'll miss the light intake of the sigma but this copy has changed my tune. The image quality gap is negligible and with what's gained in focal length range, AF speed/smoothness and reduced weight/length of the adapted sigma, I'm very happy with the trade off. I think I can finally say that with regards to people's love of the 16-55 I finally get it. My satisfaction is relative to price paid as I'd still never pay $1200 for that lens but I think I'd actually be just as happy if I paid a bit more than I did. I've owned five copies of the 18-55 because that's what it took for me to get one that lived up to the legend. I bring that up to speak on the current 80+ post thread about the 18-55 vs the 16-55. Now having a good copy of the 16-55 I am left scratching my head as even my best 18-55 isn't in the same league as the brick.

As for the 100-400, there's some quirks to it that I need to figure out before I say too much about it but what I will say after immediate impressions that I'm absolutely in no way going to miss the weight of the 150-600! The fuji is only about the size and weight of a full frame 70-200 which is very manageable hand held. The purchase of the sigma was based entirely on price point though so I'm stoked that I was able to get my hands on a copy of the 100-400. I've only fired a few dozen test shots at this point but I'm pretty impressed with what I've seen with image quality. Not night and day but I think noticable. Combine that with a lens light and small enough that I could conceivably do long hikes with I'm very pleased.

In closing to my long rambling post, I think I get it now Jerry. This is a plate of crow that I'm no way upset to eat every bite of.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow