D7500 - Nikon 18-300 vs Tamron 18-400

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
KMY New Member • Posts: 10
D7500 - Nikon 18-300 vs Tamron 18-400

Decembe 2019, I bought the D7500 and a Tamron 18-400 lens.   My intention was to go on a trip to Switzerland in May 2020 and I needed time to learn my new camera.  I had hoped that a zoom up to 400mm would help because I don't always have the time/opportunity to get up close.   Needless to say, I didn't go on the trip.

Fast forward to now, I'm FINALLY using my "new" camera!   I set up a studio to take photos of my weaving and well...the camera got bumped and fell lens first (Tamron 18-400) onto the tile floor.  I thought, no problem, it had the lens cap on and a filter.  Would you believe that the camera survived, the filter survived, but the front part of the lens that holds the filter broke.  So you can no longer put a filter or lens cap on.   I can't say that I baby my camera on vacation and have been vacationing with my Nikons for over 35 years and never had this type of thing happen (despite many falls and abuse).

So I need to decide whether to repair the Tamron lens (I suspect it won't be covered under warranty) or buy the Nikon 18-300 lens.  I was frustrated that a fall could cause such damage and if I had been on vacation, things could get difficult.  I really wanted that 400mm, but maybe a higher quality lens is better?

I'm also not sure whether I should send the lens in and get a quote for repair, then possibly sell it.  I took photos with the lens after the fall and didn't see any evidence of damage on the photos.

Ideas appreciated.   PS...I already own the Nikon 18-200mm, I just wanted more zoom.

Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon D7500 Tamron 18-400mm F3.5-6.3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow