Did I screw up (new computer / monitor)? Advice, please

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Len Philpot
Len Philpot Regular Member • Posts: 199
Did I screw up (new computer / monitor)? Advice, please

I've upgraded my old HP SFF desktop to a new Windows 11 laptop and external 24" Philips monitor. I used my old Spyder2 to calibrate the laptop (told you my previous stuff was old). It still works and does its job.

Almost.

The monitor is the primary display and laptop off to the side is secondary. That all works fine, no problem. However, when I calibrate with the Spyder (using the ColorVision software) it won't even attempt to do the external monitor, only the built in panel. After a bit of digging, apparently it won't work with dual heads on a single adapter.

Didn't know that, didn't even think about it. Rats.

I can understand why it's (still?) not possible to assign a separate profile to each head on a single card, but if I could calibrate the monitor only, that would be OK. I will be doing probably near zero actual photo work on the laptop by itself. The colors aren't so different to be a problem for general use, but they're off enough to affect photo work.

Has anyone run into this? Any suggested solutions? Returning everything isn't one, BTW.

Ideally if a newer colorimeter / software can get past the single head issue that's best - I'll calibrate both. if not, is there a model out there than will let me pick which display I want to calibrate?

I installed DisplayCAL but although it seems to recognize the Spyder2 is there, it never shows up as an available instrument. Even if it did, I don't know if it could help.

Somehow the excitement with my new stuff has been suddenly deflated a bit...

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Len Philpot
Retirement: 4th best thing to happen to me

Len Philpot's gear list:Len Philpot's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T8i (EOS 850D) Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Topaz Adjust Topaz DeJPEG Topaz Detail +10 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow