R5 freeze-up solution?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CWaterston
CWaterston Regular Member • Posts: 240
R5 freeze-up solution?

So clearly a lot of R5 users are experiencing random freeze-ups, particularly after the 1.5 firmware updated. Search the net and you'll see.

Here's a solution apparently offered by Canon:

Ok so I chatted with Canon support today. This was what I was instructed to do:
Reset camera under wrench menu 5 “Basic Settings only”, clear custom functions and custom settings under next menu (camera) 3&5. Turn camera off. Remove battery pack, memory card and lens. Hold down shutter button for 20 seconds. Put battery, memory card and lens back and turn camera back on. I accidentally did not clear custom settings only custom buttons. I have been playing and it seems to be working well at this point. No freezes yet but I won’t have time to put through paces today. I figure if it comes back I will repeat the above while clearing custom settings as i mentioned above I missed that step. Will update this post if I have additional input. I was advised the firmware will of course remain 1.5 after resetting. I won’t get into any technical about what this might or might not be doing as I am just trying to solve this issue with Canons help.

Located here:

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-DSLR-Mirrorless-Cameras/R5-Freezing-up-After-Firmware-1-5-Update/m-p/357781/page/2

If you try this, please let us know whether it works. You will, of course, lose all of your custom settings.

Thanks.

Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow