Ephotozine Review: Z 100-400/4.5-5.6 S VR

Started Jan 25, 2022 | Discussions thread
nikpharm Contributing Member • Posts: 766
Re: vs nikon 80-400 VR G

Snoddas wrote:

nikpharm wrote:

Camera labs comparison with the nikon 80-400mm VR G.

Nikon Z 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 review | Cameralabs

Thanks, I'll have to pass on this one.

• "Nice (although not great) Bokeh."

My post was related to the comparison part. I think you did not read the relevant portion of the review.

Compared to Nikon AF-S 80-400mm f4.5-5.6G ED VR

In 2013 the AF-S Nikkor set a new benchmark for long telephoto zoom lenses. Its good points then were “excellent image quality across a 36Mp full-frame sensor even wide open; excellent image stabilization; weather sealing; quiet, fast, and precise AF operation; maximum magnification of 1:5.1; relatively light weight”. As bad points I only listed the flimsy tripod collar and the high price. Comparing its optical performance with Nikon’s latest Z 100-400mm zoom lens shows why the F-Nikkor rightly had earned high praise. Sure, the Z 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 VR S is better optically especially outside the center and at long distances but the differences are not huge. And then there is the issue of the missing 20mm at the short end: Pairing the Z 100-400 with a 24-70mm lens leaves a gap of 30mm while the gap is only 10mm between a 24-70mm and the F-Nikkor. So if you already own the AF-S 80-400mm f4.5-5.6G ED VR you can continue to use it via FTZ adapter on a mirrorless Nikon Z body with good results. But if you don’t already own the legacy lens I’d rather recommend getting the new Z-Nikkor: It is optically superior, has much better image stabilization, a better tripod foot, plus all the bells and whistles of Nikon’s professional Z lenses. And it is 300g lighter than the combination of F-Nikkor and FTZ adapter.

-- hide signature --

Regards
MK

nikpharm's gear list:nikpharm's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z6 II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow