Sony RX10-4 in cold weather

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
canuck dave
canuck dave Veteran Member • Posts: 3,188
Sony RX10-4 in cold weather

There has been some 'talk' about how this camera performs in cold weather. For me, a camera is a tool, one for taking photos. I don't dwell on specs, quotes or conjecture. I live where I have considerable temperature ranges year round. Lately we have had many days in the -25C range. No it's not -40C but it's cold nonetheless.

My RX10-4 has worked about as well as any camera I have owned (over 4+ decades!). It zooms, it tracks and releases the shutter. The bigger challenge being out there in the cold is how well the operator functions. I'm bundled up in many layers and when it is below -20C I have some insulated (photo) gloves on. Very cumbersome for sure.

But because this camera tracks and exposes so well it surprises me time and time again.

I was out with a buddy recently and he had his Sony a7 III and 200-600 combo on a very cold day. He is in his 70s like me, and after our outing he told me that he would be getting the RX10-4.  The results and performance in a much lighter and less expensive outfit was too attractive to pass up. He knew full well that I had come from a good full frame DSLR system and have found the RX10-4 to be as is commonly quoted, the 'best all-round camera'.

As far as battery performance..........this camera is very poor out of the box for battery performance especially in this day and age. So I have 4 batteries and always take a spare with me, year round. That said, I can go out in the cold and shoot for at least a half hour of casual shooting. I don't shoot a lot; I am selective, and never shoot 'continuous'. After 30 minutes I'm usually cold enough to come back to the car, or indoors!

Sony a7 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow