Still one of my favorite cameras

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
StevenN Senior Member • Posts: 1,485
Still one of my favorite cameras

I own three Nikon cameras, two of them full-frame, one mirrorless, and one an APS-C mirrorless, and yet, one of my favorite cameras remains my Panasonic GX85. It is a really capable camera.

Paired with my Pan/Leica 15mm f1.7 lens (or even the kit 12-32mm), it is capable of capturing some beautiful photos. I especially like to use the camera for street photography, where its small size gives it a bit of stealth. (When I need something even smaller, I grab my GM5).

Its quick focusing, muted shutter sound, weight and ergonomics are among the things I like about it. The EVF could be better, but it's definitely serviceable. And with its wonderful video capabilities, I wonder why Panasonic didn't include a microphone jack?

Some people may bemoan it having a sensor of "only" 16 megapixels, but I have made 20"x30" prints from this camera, and they look beautiful.

Want a laugh? I recently was out shooting with my nephew, who was using his Leica M9, while I had my GX85. He looked at me enviously as he complained about the difficulty he had focusing and the lack of a tilting LCD on his Leica.

I know there is another thread here extolling the virtues of the GX85, but I didn't see it until I was almost through with this one.

-- hide signature --

StevenN

Panasonic DMC-GX85, LEICA DG SUMMILUX 15mm, F1.7, f/2.8

StevenN's gear list:StevenN's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S9700 Nikon D750 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon Z50 +12 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow