Ephotozine Review: Z 100-400/4.5-5.6 S VR

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
aclo Contributing Member • Posts: 554
Re: A picture is worth a 1000 words

BasilG wrote:

Though I like the simple mathematical argument, I guess there's a practical question here - what does rL>>rS mean? Even a 24 MP FX sensor has approx. 160 pixels/mm, approx. 80 lp/mm if you want. If ">>" means "5x" or "10x", then you will struggle to find a lens that can resolve that much, and below that, it may be hard to argue that the other component can be entirely neglected.

Yes good point, what I said is too soggy if you go beyond qualitative arguments.

A while ago, I came up with the following chart for lens vs. system resolution for various sensor pixel counts (using the formulae detailed here: https://photo.blogoverflow.com/2012/06/the-realities-of-resolution/ ):

Things would appear to break down when approaching and exceeding the 24 MP FX sensor's pixel pitch because I would expect aliasing to do something to these curves, but I am not sure how that would be incorporated here. Maybe Jim can weigh in?

Also a good question.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow