Shutter question

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Humansvillian
Humansvillian Senior Member • Posts: 2,978
Shutter question

I’m growing more interested in obtaining a classic rangefinder, but I read where most of the classic film cameras are going to need their shutter serviced.

There’s even a gadget used to test shutter speed. I’ve downloaded the app on my phone.

http://www.artdecocameras.com/resources/shutterspeed/

What intrigues me, is that modern digital cameras have a focal plane shutter, that seems to either work, or not.

I have an Olympus P-5 with what seems to have a shutter that over exposes the very first shot after the camera has been idle for a few days, but it’s getting better as I use it more.  I just double click the first exposure.

The old cameras had clockwork mechanical shutters and our have electronics, but I’d like to know how the manufacturers have increased the reliability of focal plane shutters.

It would seem to me there’s only about one way to make such a gadget as a focal plane shutter, although you can power it with a tiny electric motor, or a spring.

What has changed, over the years with shutters?

I’m just curious, is all.

-- hide signature --

Humansville is a town in the Missouri Ozarks

Humansvillian's gear list:Humansvillian's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +17 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow