Death Valley trip - 2/28-3/4

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JD2775 Regular Member • Posts: 435
Death Valley trip - 2/28-3/4

I am heading out to DV during the dates listed in the title.  Due to work constraints I can't really alter those dates at this point.  I see there is a new moon that week, so I wanted to try to shoot the Milky Way if possible.  I don't have much experience in this area so I downloaded PhotoPills just to get an idea of what I may be in for.

I realize the time window will be short that time of year (like 3am -4am).  I don't mind that and can plan accordingly.  I can also stick around until the blue hour to get a better foreground to blend in.

My question is for those of you more knowledgeable than me...do you think the Milky Way will really even really be visible or will it be too low on the horizon?  Spots I am thinking of are:

Zabriskie Point

Badwater Basin

Racetrack Playa

Mesquite Dunes

etc...

(all these facing south/southeast I think from what Photopills is showing me)

I am worried that the Badwater Basin view of the MW galactic core may be blocked by the mountains.  Zabriskie may be fine?  Not sure about Racetrack or Mesquite Dunes. The problem is I can't tell for sure from the Photopills AR visual tool because that just shows the milky way position in my current location.

Any experts in these areas of DV and that time of year that can chime in?   If it's a waste of time I'll just sleep in until sunrise

Thanks for any help!

JD2775's gear list:JD2775's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow