Quality difference in Fujicrons, in particular 23mm

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
GMacF Regular Member • Posts: 329
Quality difference in Fujicrons, in particular 23mm

I was keeping tabs on the XF 23mm f2 with a view to adding it to my Fuji prime lens setup. I currently have the Viltrox 23mm (and 56mm) f1.4 and the XF 50mm f2.

In my research I have come across a regular pattern that the XF 23mm f2 isn't all that great of a lens, or certainly wide open. Common issues include the 'haze' when shooting at close to the MFD and just a general lack of sharpness until around f4. I obviously don't own one but I found the 50mm f2 to be excellent across the frame straight from f2. I also owned the 35mm f2 and found it to be excellent as well but it was surplus to requirements as I had the Viltrox 23mm and XF 50mm.

I've been testing the Viltrox 56mm and XF 50mm all week and as I mentioned over on another thread I have found that both have their merits and in their own way would command a place in anyone's lens lineup. It was these differences that made me think about getting the XF 23mm to test against the Viltrox however the internet is abound with material on this and it seems I needn't waste my time as the Viltrox appears to be the superior lens in almost all departments.

This is where my knowledge runs short. Any reasonable person would think that all the Fujicrons were constructed to the same formula and standard and combined with the fact they were all released at approximately the same time then how come, relatively speaking, the 23mm performs so poorly? I emphasise relatively as I've no doubt it's, in general, a very good lens.

As I said, this is just a quest for knowledge, I'm not here to put down or build up any particular lens.

GMacF's gear list:GMacF's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow