Fascinated by background blur

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
snappyden
snappyden Veteran Member • Posts: 6,208
Fascinated by background blur

I thought I would throw this out here, hoping to get some insight from you ""pros". I recently bought a Panasonic FZ300 camera, 25-600mm lens, to see if I would really use its long lens often enough to warrant then stepping up to the Sony RX10iv or a mirrorless cropped sensor camera with similar long lens (100-400 for example).

So far its just been out a few times to a lagoon and small lake to photograph water fowl, and I've also used it to shoot some flowers. What I'm finding is I'm becoming more and more interested in the backgrounds this long lens produces. Aperture, focal length, distance to subject, distance background is from subject and sensor size all contribute to how backgrounds look, or so my limited knowledge of photography indicates.

Am I missing any important factors, and do you find backgrounds as interesting/important as I do?

Some recent examples where I find the quality of the background is what makes the image special (at least to my eyes) as opposed to just another image.

Best,

Den

View: original size

snappyden's gear list:snappyden's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Sony RX100
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow