Rent or...

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
2nd Wind Contributing Member • Posts: 807
Rent or...

Greetings, I've recently joined this forum when I decided to explore primarily an Olympus system with mostly pro lenses. This will be new, however, not a new photo experience as I've over 50 years in photography. Currently, Nikon (4) DSLR's and many lenses including several prime tele's with an emphasis on wildlife but not exclusively.

For a few years I was impressed seeing some wildlife photos shot on 4/3, especially Olympus and with Olympus lenses. The weather sealing on bodies and lenses was also impressive as I shoot in some tough conditions. When the M1X was first released I liked the specs and no the size was great for me. The features seemed exceptional but of course still wondered about ISO & DR, but I also already realized that I've rarely ever pushed ISO's above 2000 as the detail I wanted was not attainable on any of my Nikon bodies with some exceptions. When I searched my photo library, not surprisingly I had very few photos above ISO 2000 Sure, one can get good results under certain conditions but when there's poor light, even with my current gear I, will wait for a better opportunity. I don't just want a keepsake. I think too many people worry needlessly about needing high ISO especially for wildlife.

All that said when I saw the M1x price drop to almost half the $3k initial offering I became very interested. Additionally the cost of pro Olympus & other 4/3 lenses were far less than than my Nikon glass which was also a big consideration and benefit. At first I considered I'd rent the M1X and a couple lenses to see how good and what limitations there were (I've never rented but often see thats what many do so I looked into it) but when I had an M1X, 12-100, 100-400mm in my LensRental cart and saw the cost at over $500.00 for a week I said "Yikes! this will not happen!"

So then I started rethinking how I was to explore a 4/3 system, hopefully in a better way. I searched eBay and found like new or open box gear, all which included all original items and in the case of the M1X, although an open box came with the original warranty. Total cost was $ 3,10.43. I didn't just buy the first item I saw but carefully monitored new items and checked sold costs. The M1X was an auction from a reputable major online retailer where I set my best price and went to sleep, waking up to see I won it for $1199.00. The two lenses I bought did not have a Make Offer but as an eBay seller myself, I often accept offers from people who message me so it's a buying tool few of my friends ever use but can be a great way to catch a person who decided to cash in.

I've actually purchased most of my gear this way or at times bought Nikon certified refurbished and saved a lot of money through the years. I never buy unless returns are accepted so no real worries. I/m still waiting for the M1x but already received the lenses and they are both seemingly like new without a single flaw. When the camera arrives I'll hope that theres no issues.

I know I could sell everything I just bought and at worst break even but actually could even be ahead. I've rarely had an issue with any used camera gear I bought. Once I paid $4k for a 400mm Nikon prime which had an AF issue but returned it without issue. What's really incredible is to buy into a whole new system for less than I paid for a refurbished Nikon D800E several years ago! I never realized how affordable pro 4/3 especially Olympus can be and anxiously awaiting the M1X to take it out for a trial. If things work out as well as I'm hoping for I will soon add some tele & wide primes.

Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow