Photos Are Rarely Tack Sharp Even With Good Equipment and Understanding of Camera

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JustuScapes New Member • Posts: 1
Photos Are Rarely Tack Sharp Even With Good Equipment and Understanding of Camera

Hello everyone,

I am a few years into my photography journey and there is one thing that I just can't seem to figure out. My photos are just never (or very very rarely) tack sharp. I have looked up a ton of videos and I've heard all of the usual rememdies- higher shutter speed, lower ISO, better lenses, etc. I am shooting with a Canon R5 and Canon R6 both with IBIS ad mostly use L lenses. My most frequently used lenses for portrait work are my 50mm f/1.2 and my 135mm f/2.0. So, I don't think its a gear issue. I've experienced the same problem throughout my journey with other bodies too- 5D4, 7D2, R6. It seems that even at a relatively high SS and low ISO, 95% of the time, my shots just aren't as sharp as I see from others. It seems that nothing in the photo most of the time is sharp so I don't think its an issue of missed focus, it seems to be motion blur. I don't understand what I am doing wrong and it is really frustrating me to see other photographers who have been doing it for less time with cheaper equipment taking sharper photos than I am. I have narrowed it down to I either have the worlds most unsteady hands, or there is some type of editing process that everyone else knows but me. Here is a RAW photo, unedited from a shoot last weekend. I always focus on the eye closest to me. I usually shoot around f/2.0 for single person shots such as this but this is f/1.8. SS- 1/200 ISO- 100. This same level of sharpness seems to be the case even with images I took at 1/400 though which I would assume with IBIS would be fast enough to negative hand shake?? Thanks for any advice!

Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow