AF-C makes all shots soft/blurry (Z6 II)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SidewinderZ6 New Member • Posts: 15
AF-C makes all shots soft/blurry (Z6 II)

I've only had the Z6 II and Z 50mm 1.8 a week and today, being home with the kids, I decided to test AF-C. The Youtube vids I've watched has led me to believe that it works really well. However, I must be doing something wrong because not a single photo is in sharp focus (okay, maybe 2-3 of about 150).

The test was not especially demanding. I just had my daughter walk towards me in the kitchen, holding AF-ON and snapping pictures (both burst and single shot). Shutter speed was 1/640 and aperture f2.8. I tested both Single-Point, Wide-S and Wide-L with Eye-AF. The camera found the eye but the photos still turned out super soft. Granted these were taken at rather high ISO (5000-7000) but still. The focus seems to be consistently behind her (at around her shoulder).

After doing this test I almost can't believe the Youtube vids showing how well it works. Btw, I also tested focus priority instead of release priority, but same story, soft photos.

Should I test in better light? Is there a setting that I'm not aware of that makes it all work? I feel a bit lost to be honest...

See typical result below.

Nikon Z6 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
HRS
(unknown member)
HRS
HRS
Joo
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow