Ephotozine Review: Z 100-400/4.5-5.6 S VR

Started Jan 25, 2022 | Discussions thread
anotherMike Forum Pro • Posts: 10,799
Re: Ode to Slanted Edges (vs Bench)

Thanks Jack.

I've worked with Imatest software and have an (older) copy of MTFmapper somewhere.

I would disagree about 50X f/l being a proxy for infinity, and it's really infinity results that I'm interested in for landscape work, so we'll have to disagree on that one. I don't have the space in the residence for 40 feet of draw either, so that one is out of the question as well.

When time permits (I'm not retired, and balance an income-producing job and a photography sideline) I absolutely do need to look at MTFmapper again for the mid length lenses in the manner you speak of. Perhaps not to the Bernard Delley level of depth, but I do need to get back to it at some point.

I've done a *lot* of subjective testing in an extremely thorough way (multiple test runs on different days to root out test error, etc) and just haven't yet found that the chart based tests correlate as well to my set of experiences as the MTF based ones that Roger Cicala has done, particularly the field curvature charts he ran a few years back, but you are right - I do need to delve into it again when time permits to increase my knowledge in that area.

My primary interest in all of this isn't to prove "my" lens is better than "the other guys" lens but to begin to see if I can correlate things I see subjectively with objective measurements, a strange interest, one that I might play with more if/when I can get to retirement.

But ultimately, in dream world, I want a bench to play with....

-m

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow