Nikon 300 and 500PF lenses

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Zangetsu Lee Forum Member • Posts: 87
Nikon 300 and 500PF lenses

I currently own a Tammy 600 G1. Looking to upgrade to prime lenses in the future for better sharpness and faster AF. There're a few queations in my mine. Should my upgrade be to primes or to zooms?

Zooms I had in mind for upgrade is the Tammy 600G2 or the Nikon 200-500 f5.6, or maybe the Sigma 120-300 f2.8 SPORTS, or the Sigma 60-600mm SPORTS. Nikon 200-400mm f4 VR seems good also. How about the Sigma 300-800 f5.6? There're just so many choices..

As for primes, I'm kind of uncertain between which may be the better upgrade. The PFs or the Bazookas like the 300 f2.8? I think the 300 f2.8 is the maximum weight I'm willing to carry, at about 3KGs. But at 3kgs, it's still really heavy... hence me thinking of the 300 and 500PFs alternatives. The 500PF seems to be excellent according to reviews, but it's an f5.6, and I can't zoom with it. Then it's price also, I can get a 300 f2.8 which AF way faster theoretically and can attach TC's to it also. The 300PFs seemed excellent, lightest of all my listed options in zooms and primes, and super sharp with super close focusing also. Then I can out TC's to extend it's reach also.

Man, there're just too many choices. Someone help me and give me some real practical advice...

And also if I uograde to the big primes, my tripod setup may not be able to hold it firm (which will increase the cost expenditure again...

I'm currently using a Manfrotto 190X3 and Manfrotto  BHQ2 PRO ballhead. It's enough for my Tammy, but whether it can hold the 300mm 2.8 prime or not, a big big question...

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow