ND filters, outdoor flash & gels

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Gnine Senior Member • Posts: 3,750
ND filters, outdoor flash & gels

In my old age, I've been playing around getting as much as I can right in camera, allowing me to shoot jpegs, with absolute minimum time spent PP'ing. Which has led me to experimenting with outdoor fill flash, using an ND filter to calm the shutter seed down enough that I can eliminate using HSS flash, & get a little bit more range/fill. I think I'm nearly there, but wouldn't mind hearing from others experience if they've done the same. Basically, is it considered good practice, or even required, to gel the flash for outdoor usage? Should I set the WB for flash, or is the camera (G9) smart enough to work it out when the flash is set to forced on? With the combination of an ND filter, shade, flash & full, strong sunlight, what's the best approach to take here? I think I'm just about there, a few examples from today. These were all shot with onboard flash, I'm waiting for some radio triggers so I can place the flash in much better strategic locations.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow