Lens collar for the Sigma 40mm lens, which is on sale

Started 4 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dave gaines
dave gaines Veteran Member • Posts: 9,829
Lens collar for the Sigma 40mm lens, which is on sale

a couple of weeks ago I was asking about the Sigma 40mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens for Nikon F, which has been on sale for $400 off for several weeks now.

Sigma 40mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens for Nikon F 332955 B&H Photo (bhphotovideo.com)

I eventually bought one from my favorite local camera store, Samy's Camera in Los Angeles. They were happy to match the price upon request.

But in the course of asking about using this lens on a Z camera, should I ever have the urge to get one, someone suggested a lens collar by iShoot that was made for this lens. I've been using it on a monopod for night photography and it works great.

The collar works great and nearly balances with the D850 on a tripod or monopod. The D850 is a bit heavier so the head will tilt back if you loosen the clamp.

Here's a shot of the lens & camera on my tripod showing it balanced by tilting it slightly forward.

Camera and Lens balanced by tilting forward slightly

The camera & lens on the level:

Held level on the tripod.

Just the collar. The two cut outs are for the focus switch and the focus scale window.

Just the collar on an Arca-Swiss style clamp.

Here are several links to the lens collar:

CornelC wrote: ...

Since I use it a lot on a tripod for astrophotography I use a lens collar like this, which I highly recommend if you plan to use the lens mainly on a tripod. https://fr.shopping.rakuten.com/offer/buy/4372157512/ishoot-cnc-collier-de-pied-pour-sigma-40mm-f-1-4-dg-hsm-art.html?bbaid=5295655955&t=180110&gclid=CjwKCAiA5t-OBhByEiwAhR-hm9duOCdDmIXvMSGSIElMIS9MHrPdS4kvWtsovLOJua9I4tZMefShPRoCQwkQAvD_BwE

That link is a retailer in France.

Here's a link to the same tripod mount lens collar on eBay for $60. I found another brand at Walmart for $81. They both ship from China in 2 to 3 weeks.

iShoot CNC Lens Collar Tripod Mount Adapter Ring for Sigma 40mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art | eBay

And here's the best offer for anyone in the USA. On Amazon that ships from the USA in a week for $45.

Amazon.com : iShoot Lens Tripod Mount Ring for Sigma 40mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, CNC Machined Aviation Aluminum Lens Collar Support Bracket Holder, Bottom is ARCA-SWISS Fit Quick Release Plate for Tripod Ball Head : Electronics

I try not to shop on Amazon but I'd rather give Jeff Bezos my money than anyone in China.

-- hide signature --

Dave - Be safe. Stay Healthy.

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
dave gaines's score
Nikon D850 Sigma 40mm F1.4 DG HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow