PSA: Beware inexpensive, generic, Chinese-made lens adapters..

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AudiiDudii
AudiiDudii Contributing Member • Posts: 816
PSA: Beware inexpensive, generic, Chinese-made lens adapters..

Notice anything unusual about my FrankenKamera VIII in the photo below?

It turns out the six M1.7 screws the unknown Chinese manufacturer used to attach a Pentax 645 female lens bayonet to its Nikon Z-series lens adapter weren't up to the task of holding in place a P645 45-85/f4.5 zoom that weighs 870 g.

When I picked up the tripod and moved it slightly to position it to take this photo, the jolt when I set it back on the floor was enough to strip all six screws holding the bayonet in place, which in turn allowed the lens -- with the lens bayonet still attached! -- to fall to the floor ... yikes!

Fortunately, the lens didn't fall all the way to the floor, as I had purely by coincidence placed the tripod over a box of used bubble wrap I save for re-use and it landed gently, without suffering any damage, after its ~30" fall. <phew!>

On the positive side, the lens did not fall off earlier in the afternoon when I was taking test photos on my driveway to verify I had the GFX 100S body positioned correctly to allow the lens to focus at infinity. (This is tricky, because I need to mount the body far enough away from the FrankenKamera VIII so its grip clears, but not so far away the lens won't correctly focus at infinity when the infinity mark on the focus ring is positioned at the indicator line. As it turned out, the difference between these two positions is a scant .2 mm ... talk about cutting it close!)

Even more fortunately, there's enough aluminum around the original bayonet mounting holes that I can simply re-drill-and-tap the M1.7 mounting holes for larger and longer screws, which should prevent the lens from falling off a second time...

Anyway, learn from my lesson! If an adapter seems sketchy or not up to the task, don't use it or do so very carefully until you're confident it will not fall apart and dump a lens on the ground...

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow