Adobe DeMoasicing "Worms", maybe switch to Iridient?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,990
Adobe DeMoasicing "Worms", maybe switch to Iridient?

So I've noticed that upon close inspection, the dreaded "Fuji worm" problem as it relates to Adobe's method for deomasicing can also apply to other formats. Now I know many people say this is caused by over sharpening (particularly with the Details slider) but I've now seen it with both my Fuji and NIkon files so I'm starting to think it's not just regarding Fuji's X-Trans files, as someone once told me that was part of the reason.

Playing around with Iridient a little (with my Nikon files; I no longer own a Fuji) I noticed that I can get about the same level of demosaicing (can't tell a different) from Iridient compared to Adobe except that the Iridient N-Transformer doesn't seem to exhibit the "worm" issue even if I push the sharpening up pretty high in ACR and LR.  I don't really see it as much in portraits (if at all) but I do see it in some of my landscape shots which I tend to go a little more on the sharper, detailed side especially for big vistas, etc.

Thoughts on this? Is it worth it? (Its not much, like $40) but it would also mean I'd be working with a DNG versus the RAW file, which is fine because I believe you can batch convert a bunch of files with Iridient).   I'm mainly just looking for input and thoughts on the program (or other possible options) as the worm thing does sort of bother me (I mostly see it in landscape shots or shots where there is texture, like a smoot rock, for example).

-- hide signature --

(NOTE: If I don't reply to a direct comment in the forums, it's likely I unsubscribed from the thread.)

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II GoPro Hero8 Black Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +11 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow