Switch from D7500 to Z50?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 102
Switch from D7500 to Z50?

Hi everyone.  New member here.  Looking for some advice.  I'll try to be brief.

I have a d7500 (two lens kit plus 35mm f/1.8).   I got it some time back with the intention of using is for our travels (both domestic and international).  Circumstances have kept us from doing much travel but that's changed now so we're about to hit the road.  

My photographic target will be along these lines...

• 80% landscape/cityscape/tourist stuff
  • 15% people/family/portrait
  • 5% action (moving subjects)

What I like about the D7500 is the IQ and controls.  Prior to it I had a D3500 and I greatly prefer the physical buttons/dials for adjusting ISO/AF/etc. of the D7500.

But what appeals to me about the Z50 is the weight and size.  It seems very well suited for travel.  It also seems to have the same level of control that the D7500 does.

I also have read some very good things about the Z lenses overall, specifically that Nikon seems to be putting more effort into real quality glass these days, but also that the two kit lenses are quite a bit better than their DSLR counterparts, actually quite exceptional.

Also, I'm pretty sure that I'll not have any desire (nor need) to go full frame so the Z50 should be fine for my purposes.  This is a tool for our travels and also a secondary hobby, not a professional here.

So given all that, what do you think?  Would the Z50 make sense?  What would you think I'd be missing from the D7500?  Oh, I'm aware of the battery life issue on Z cameras but that's not an issue for me as I always carry a spare battery or two.

Thanks.

Newt

Nikon D3500 Nikon D7500 Nikon Z50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow