Ephotozine Review: Z 100-400/4.5-5.6 S VR

Started Jan 25, 2022 | Discussions thread
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 41,567
SOOC JPEGs?

kenw wrote:

RazorSharpWO wrote:

EPHOTOZINE REVIEW

The first real review came out on the much-talked-about Z 100-400/4.5-5.6 S VR lens.

I’m not sure I’d call anything from that site a “real review” as their MTF results are frankly notorious for their inconsistency.

• 400mm is still very sharp (slightly sharper than the 70-200 is @ 200 mm)

I hope you are not concluding that from ephotozine’s test of the 70-200 since they tested the 70-200 on a Z5 and the 100-400 on a Z7II. See point above - never compare ephotozine results between lenses even on their own site much less to any other site. Ephotozine couldn’t test their way out of a wet paper bag.

All-in-all looks like it's worth the money for sure, considering the range, and especially considering extreme reproduction ratio: .38x.

It does, though not based on anything on Ephotozine. It is a site one can safely ignore as far as MTF results go.

EDIT: To be clear, I’m bashing on Ephotozine and not the OP! Just fair warning to people not familiar with ephotozines lame attempts at MTF measurements. And despite that, thanks to the OP for posting the link. Much of the review and sample images are still super useful. Just remember to always ignore MTF results from that site. They are worse than useless, often the are grossly misleading.

I've read the site's explanation of their methodology. It is very sparse. Although they don't say it explicitly, I suspect they are using SOOC JPEGs. They are notoriously variable in their sharpening, even when all the in-camera sharpening is putatively turned off.  You can get just about any MTF50 you want by adjusting the sharpening.

By the way, why are they still using an ancient version of Imatest?

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Leica Q2 Monochrom Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Nikon Z9 Hasselblad X2D 100c +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow