Ephotozine Review: Z 100-400/4.5-5.6 S VR

Started Jan 25, 2022 | Discussions thread
Wildkits
Wildkits Regular Member • Posts: 394
Re: Its pretty funny...

anotherMike wrote:

Well, I don't list my gear, so there's that....

And to add something to the current lens in discussion - I'm nowhere close to being comfortable even giving a "final answer" verdict/review on it until I've spent some time on a landscape trip with it, which is hopefully this summer. My thoughts so far are nothing more than early impressions and limited testing.

Well, for what's it's worth, I did own it.

I got it before my Z9 came, so I tested it--no, tried it out--on a rented Z7II. I thought it was a very nice lens, and I truly loved the rendering. my views don't contradict anotherMike's especially on his point that it doesn't have 400mm f/2.8 sharpness at 400mm.

I returned it because I decided to wait for the sharper prime, and it simply isn't long enough for my uses (the attached image is already heavily cropped even at 560mm). I used it with the 1.4x TC to get over 500mm, which I might have accepted. However, I have the Canon 100-500, which I've decided to keep, and pair may R5 kit with the Z9 and 400 and 500pf primes. Here is a sample of what I got from it.

Again, it is a very nice lens, and I would have kept it if I didn't have other alternatives.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow