Ephotozine Review: Z 100-400/4.5-5.6 S VR

Started Jan 25, 2022 | Discussions thread
Mackiesback
Mackiesback Veteran Member • Posts: 9,784
Re: Ephotozine Beware - Poor testing protocols…

You bring up an interesting point. Just about every zoom lens with a healthy range seems to have a good end, and a not as good end. My thoughts were that most people buy these lenses for the performance at the long end, there are many other options for the short end.

I also believe that picking which end would be better in the optical design is a choice made by the lens engineers and manufacturers. I may be wrong, but it would seem they could/would optimize one end over the other. If all this is true (there is a good chance it isn't), why would Nikon choose the short end for better performance? To me they would be better off making a 200-400 while optimizing the log end. Maybe some here can straighten me out and tell me they value the 100-200 end of this lens being the best or most used, I don't know.  I don't shoot butterflies. But I have always felt the tele-zooms should be optimized for the long end.

Unrelated, I believe I did read a review from Nasim a few years ago where he stated that he used PP, including sharpening, in his test results.  That would defeat the purpose, IMO.

Mackiesback's gear list:Mackiesback's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon Df Nikon Z6 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow