Ephotozine Review: Z 100-400/4.5-5.6 S VR

Started Jan 25, 2022 | Discussions thread
OP (unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,684
For birds, I wouldn't give up the 500 PF ... but

Ezra2000 wrote:

The review seems to back up some good photo work from galleries on this forum and others. Still I cannot justify giving up my 500mm pf yet !

For birds, I would never give up the 500 PF over this zoom lens. But ... "general walk-around" nature photography, I definitely would.

I bought the Z 70-200 as a "general walkaround" lens myself. I use it for reptiles and butterflies. The thought never occurred to me to use it for birds, it's just not long enough.

The 100-400 isn't really a bird lens either, IMO. You can try to use it for birds, and if they're tame enough, or you have a birdfeeder, maybe you can do this. Under most circumstances, a 100-400 is going to mean "crop city" for bird photography, which is why you seldom see really good shots with it. (In the right hands, however, it's insufficiencies of length can be bridged.)

However, the 500 PF is getting into the realm of the serious birder lens, especially BIF, and its performance is outstanding in good hands. Personally, I use the 400 FL ED + the D500, all of these are capable of taking great shots of birds, albeit both our little reach-starved in many instances.

While I think both the 500 PF in the 400 FL ED are way above average for birds, I actually think the 100-400 Z, based on the specs, would be a better lens for butterflies and reptile photography.

Not a big deal to some, but it's a big deal to me. Especially with the upcoming spring time.

-- hide signature --

Please forgive: I use voice text, so there may be typos. Hopefully it still makes sense
~
Blog
Facebook
Flickr

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow