Ephotozine Review: Z 100-400/4.5-5.6 S VR

Started Jan 25, 2022 | Discussions thread
DerKaiser Regular Member • Posts: 315
Re: Ephotozine Beware - Poor testing protocols…

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

kenw wrote:

RazorSharpWO wrote:

EPHOTOZINE REVIEW

The first real review came out on the much-talked-about Z 100-400/4.5-5.6 S VR lens.

I’m not sure I’d call anything from that site a “real review” as their MTF results are frankly notorious for their inconsistency.

It does not have the maximum score according to ephotozine of the 24-120 S

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/nikkor-z-24-120mm-f-4-s-lens-review-35864/verdict

To save anybody searching the site the 24-120 S at just over 5,000 maximum score seems their highest lens score so far for any Nikon lens they have so far tested.

I own the 24-120 S and rate it highly at the wide end.

Even so mine is not better than my 50mm f1.2 S or my 24-70 f2.8 S at their optimum.

In my correspondence with ephotozine the attitude of the tester is the figures are what they are.

At best I consider they are occasionally open to some doubt, and occasionally they seem not to stand up to any reasonable scrutiny.

Since Ephotozine relies solely on the test charts for sharpness determination, I take their conclusions with a grain of salt, particularly considering the caveats that Ken points out. I much prefer Cameralabs reviews.  They appear to do their MTF testing in a consistent manner.  Furthermore, they post the test chart images as well "real world" shots at infinity to let the readers judge.  And they usually (always?) post images from other lenses with overlapping or identical focal length ranges.

DerKaiser's gear list:DerKaiser's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow