I found an Owl

Started 4 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 24,844
I found an Owl

I've been photographing the snowy owls for many winters on Long Island's South Shore. Every winter the young owls make there way here from the Artic and seem to find the same locations to live and hunt. I start looking for them in late November and by the end of December I've discovered the various individuals and learned there favorite dunes and mounds. When I arrive at one of the beaches I photograph them at I walk to each of these spots till I find one. Some days I visit all these locations and continue searching and eventually head home with no owl photos. There are plenty of other subjects to photograph on a day like this. On my last visit I was walking down the trail to the beach when I spotted the owl on a dune that other owls have enjoyed yet this owl had not been on in the past. I took a few safety shots and then moved to a better location.

-1 Owl in lovely environment photographed from the trail.

-2 Owl on dune from better angle. After finding the owl, I get to stand behind my tripod and wait and wait, sometimes for hours for the owl to do something and/or open it's eyes

-3 Being a white owl has got to be like owning a white car. You are always cleaning

-4 About an hour after spotting the owl

-5 I take a burst of images and then observe where the owl fly's.

Then the search starts again. I always setup far enough away not to stress the owl. This can mean a lot of reach.

Comments and suggestions welcome,

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR XF 90mm Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +12 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow