Video modes on A7RIII

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
clarnibass Senior Member • Posts: 2,365
Video modes on A7RIII

I'm one of the five people who read the manual... still trying to understand a few things about video with the A7RIII.

1. If I'm on the Movie mode, it only allows AFC or MF. I'm not sure why it doesn't let me choose e.g. AFS. I guess that's the way it is, but trying to understand the sense of it.
If I'm in M mode, I can choose any focus mode obviously, but I don't see the video frame unless I start recording.
Question is, what if I want to use AFS (or DMF) for video, do I need to record or move to Movie mode to frame, then move back to M mode to be able to use the focus modes I want? I assume there's a better way to do that...?

2. I shot a video on a tripod and maybe had the stabilizer on by accident. There is a weird "effect" a bit like zooming slightly in and out. It is extremely small, invisible before looking on a larger screen, but happens throughout the video. Does it sound like it's from the stabilizer being on? The lens was a non-stabilized prime lens so it was definitely not accidentally moving the zoom. Focus mode was AFS so I don't think this changed at all. What else could it be?

3. I also shot a hand held clip, with the 28mm f/1.8 lens with stabilizer on. On the camera screen it looked great. On the computer screen now I see tiny jumps occasionally. I am guessing it's from the combination of the lens FL, stabilizer and me, and that's what this combination is like.
I'm wondering if it could be something else? I suspect it's the stzbilizer correcting me that causes this but I am not sure.
What's the best next step to getting a more stable and smooth setup, but as light as possible? Maybe better to ask in the video forum. I definitely don't want one of those big rigs over the shoulders. I thought maybe a stabilized lens would help, but it looks like there are none even close to what I need (all seems to be regular very slow zooms or large tele, I need wide to medium primes).

Settings for both were 1080p, 25FPS, 1/50 shutter speed, f/2 to f/4 apertures, full frame.

Thanks

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow