Tanaka Tele-Tanar 135mm (13.5cm) f/3.5

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
spiffariffic
spiffariffic Regular Member • Posts: 124
Tanaka Tele-Tanar 135mm (13.5cm) f/3.5

I've had this baby sitting on my shelf, waiting and waiting for the right adapter to arrive from China. (It's a Nikon S model and I initially ordered the inner adapter but it's an outer lens. D'oh. 😭)

Took it out for today's sunset… All photos shot on my Ricoh GXR M.

This is my first long vintage/rangefinder lens, it's really nice to have the reach.

I am so impressed by the way it handles direct sunlight and flare.

I think it'll be a great portrait lens… for when my husband (below) and I aren't unusually haggard from two weeks of a mystery virus (not covid, but nastyyy).

It's very sharp. Too sharp? Time to invest in some better moisturizer. 😅 Or learn how to better shoot and edit skin. Or both. Probably both.

Unlike the last lens I posted, it's easy enough to find focus with the GXR's focus peaking.

Except that the aperture and focus rings are stiff, but only intermittently.

I can't seem to reach infinity. I think that's due to the stiffness and not the adapter.

One more… shot just as an example of the beautiful, creamy flare, no compositional quality:

The green on the right edge isn't great but I'm still bowled over by the total lack of sharp/reflective flaring.

Now I'm hooked on the focal length. Do you have a favorite long rangefinder lens?

-Amy

Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow