Polarized Skies?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dan W Contributing Member • Posts: 992
Polarized Skies?

OK I'm in the mid west in the US. I try to give attention to my skies as I'm shooting, I hate that blowout solid white skies.

Last year we drove the Route 66 from Chicago to Santa Monica peir. What I found in my images that when out west in CA, NM, AZ, etc the skies are very deep blue without the use of a CP filter like I need here at home to get. So why is that? The sky here in Ohio I get light blue skies at best without a polarizer. If I underexpose the sky by a stop or more I will get a little darker blue but it looks underexposed and not as rich as a properly exposed sky out west.

I LOVE the time we spent out there, it was the 3rd time I have been out west and visiting the parks is so amazing compared to what we have around my home.

Anyhow, just wondering if anybody has had that experience and why the light seems to be more polarized out west vs midwest or even the east coast...

Dan W's gear list:Dan W's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow