Safari: Take the 12-35mm 2.8 or the 12-60mm 2.8-4?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
C Sean Veteran Member • Posts: 3,282
Safari: Take the 12-35mm 2.8 or the 12-60mm 2.8-4?

So the plans for my South African holiday been change and instead I'll be going to Botswana's Okavango Delta. For those who never been, it's landscape is wetlands, forest and the odd open fields.

The idea is to use the following...

• GH5 + 50-200mm (primary set up)
  • G9 + 100-400mm
  • GX80 for landscapes.

Before I'll get to the meat of the question, I just do a quick summary. I'll be staying at two private game reserves with the option of off roading promoted. Since the area has a lot of forest, it means off roading will be limited but also animals use the roads as game trails. This means the 50-200mm on my GH5 will be my primary set up since a lot of the mammals will be closer than say Kruger Park or the Masai Mara. The G9 + 100-400 will be for birds and animals further away.

The lighting in Botswana especially in Okavango Delta is spectacular and the sun rises and sunsets are truly amazing. Our guides will be capitalising on these sunset and sunrises by driving us to locations to maximise the benefits of the skies for us photographers.

So the question is would you take the 12-35mm 2.8 or the 12-60mm 2.8-4 for these landscape shots? Just to point out some are likely to be taken at hippo pools. I should also point out, we are allowed to jump out of the vehicle to take photographs if it's safe. You also go to toilet behind the bush.

Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow