New high-ISO Z7 and D5 images

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 38,221
New high-ISO Z7 and D5 images

Horshack suggested that the Z7 images in the Z7/D5 high-ISO comparison might be compared at half a stop higher shutter speed to keep the same pixel-level motion blut in the Z7 images as in the D5 onoes in situation where camera or subject motion dominates the sharpness. I put those images in the Dropbox shared folder, and some people have been playing with them.

It's possible to come at this from another direction, as someone suggested in an earlier thread: use diffraction blur to equalize the object-space resolution of the Z7 and the D5. The Z7 images will be blurrier at a pixel level, but equally blurry at the same size print level. I picked f/16, which gives an Airy disk diameter between the first zeros of around 20 um, encompassing about 20 of the Z7 pixels, and about 8 of the D5 pixels.

I was unable to get the light bright enough with outside illumination, and retain 1/30 second exposure and turned on some incandescent lights, so the scene is lit with light of two color temperatures. I raised the ISO to 12800, and made exposures at 1/30 and 1/60 second with both cameras.

The images are in the shared Dropbox folder, and I invite anyone who want to share processed image to do so here. I will be posting some.

If anyone who doesn't have access to that folder wants access, please PM me your email address.

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Leica Q2 Monochrom Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GFX 100S Nikon Z9 +1 more
Nikon D5 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow