Glad that I followed my heart

Started 4 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
S_L
S_L Junior Member • Posts: 40
Glad that I followed my heart

I almost did not buy the camera due to lackluster/ limited reviews here and on the internet. And it seems there are more people dislike it than those who like it.

So glad that I bought it around 1.5 months ago.

The camera is great for my intended use. Once and for all, bring everywhere camera that takes better photos than mobile phones. I only shoot in manual mode and mainly use it outdoors, from hiking to snowboarding.

I have tested it for macro, moon, low-light, starry night (MF), sport, animals, "flowing" water, etc. Some of the photos can never be taken by my mobile phone. Check the practice photos here. Not that they are good , but they may help to clear some potential owners' doubt? I wish there were more photos from G1XIII by newbies /normal users (like myself) here when I was searching for information.

cropped from the photo below

Why I love this camera
1. APSC sensor, which mobile phones probably take some time to catch up (if ever)
2. Weather-sealed (give me peace of mind)
3. Feature-rich yet compact (fit the inner pocket of the snowboard jacket)
4. Decent zoom lens, good compromise between a unchangeable fixed lens and cumbersome changeable lenses
5. Built-in ND filter - finally can take those waterfall photos
6. Imagine stabilisation, with some breathing practice and luck :-P, I managed to take a few decent photos with shutter speed as low as 0.5-1 sec.
7. EVF. I naturally want to hold the camera to my face and uses the EVF. It is also more ergonomic when one shoots in manual mode and needs to adjust all those buttons.
8. Fully articulate screen, useful for long exposure photos
9. Good low-light performance
10. Solid built/feel, intuitive interface and fit in my small hands perfectly

Info that helped me to make the purchase decision but were seldom mentioned:
1. Made in Japan
2. 6x optical zoom with decent quality and 12x optical zoom if needed
3. 37mm filters will fit the camera

It's a joy to use this camera. Turn out I like the camera so much that I want to have it with me even when I just go out for a walk, guess it is a good sign?

S_L's gear list:S_L's gear list
Canon G1 X III
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow