The problem of selling a mature technology gadget

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Humansvillian
Humansvillian Senior Member • Posts: 2,978
The problem of selling a mature technology gadget

There’s a place at my farm I can see a stop sign 530 yards away. It’s just above the center steel T post, if you enlarge the frame.

I know that stop sign is 530 yards away because I have three $100 grade laser rangefinders. One I keep in a shed at the farm, the other in my garage, and the best one I keep in my shooting bag. My kids might buy more laser rangefinders but this old man has his lifetime quota.

I must own at least a dozen pairs of binoculars, too. I still own the first 7x35 pair of Japanese binoculars Santa brought me for Christmas when I was five, and they are still as clear and bright as when my father took me to that spot above almost sixty years ago and we took turns looking at that stop sign. Of all my binoculars, I own four pair that are modern fully multicoated or phase corrected and of those four these are really the only ones I actually use. It’s a $100 (on sale) pair of phase corrected ED glass 10x40 center focus Zhummel magnesium body lifetime guaranteed pair that is actually better than my two pairs of Stiener binoculars and my little Simmons pair, to my eyeballs, at least.

The makers of modern gadgets like Olympus and Panasonic MFT cameras have a problem.

The technology of those gadgets is so mature the point may have already dawned where a purchaser only buys one, and no more.

I cleaned out my trunk enough to place an Olympus PL-5 with 14-42 kit lens and 40-150 plastic fantastic telephoto and a Flash Air card and four batteries and charger. That cost $200, and it’s as new.

It’s more than enough camera and lenses than any reasonable buyer needs, but I’m addicted to Olympus cameras.

When does a MFT camera and lens set become a once in a lifetime purchase, like a modern pair of 10x40 binoculars and a laser rangefinder already is?

-- hide signature --

Humansville is a town in the Missouri Ozarks

Humansvillian's gear list:Humansvillian's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +17 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow