iPhone 13 + Good Compact P&S Cam, vs iPhone 13 Pro alone?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Camrarat Regular Member • Posts: 100
iPhone 13 + Good Compact P&S Cam, vs iPhone 13 Pro alone?

I’m about to upgrade my phone to either an iPhone 13 or 13 Pro, which has a modest telephoto and macro modes.

i’ve been wanting to take better pictures for a long time. I’m especially interested in taking casual macro shots of bugs/insects, flowers and even snowflakes, wildlife (deer, birds), and some underwater photography when I snorkel.

I also have been frustrated by my old iphone when taking pictures of food. Taking the pic close up and theres fisheye distortion, take it from far away and it needs to be cropped/digi zoomee and quality inevitably degrades. I have this same problem when I take pictures in museums, and when traveling a modest zoom would definitely be useful in lots of circumstances.

I identified the Olympus Tough TG6 as a possible contender that will cover lots of these bases. I’m also considering the Panasonic LX 10, the Somy HX99 and the Sony RX100VII…but I afaik these wont do macro or underwater. I’d have to get a waterproof housing for the phone and potentially get a serious macro lens and dslr or mirrorless later (or some kind of addon/attachment?)

If I got the iPhone 13 and a TG6 (or other compact P&S), would I feel  like I should have just gotten the iPhone Pro with the built in macro and zoom? (plus waterproof housing for snorkeling?)

Considering all the kinds of photography I want to explore, the 13 Pro might actually save me money if I just get it and skip P&S cams. OTOH I’d feel dumb if I could get much better pics from the P&S cams and if I felt limited by the pro, like if the macro mode felt gimmicky/low quality, if the quality of the telephoto was not good.

Will the iPhone 13 Pro best the TG6’s image quality? Or is the smartphone’s IQ still inferior to P&S cams like the Tough in certain situations? How about continuous zoom or other benefits of the compacts?

Which route would you recommend going?

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX99 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow