Lens reccomendations 70-200 f/2.8

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PhasmatosOculus Forum Member • Posts: 61
Lens reccomendations 70-200 f/2.8

Hi all,

Your advice has been great so far, but I find myself wanting advice from those using equipment in the real world, rather than statistics and controlled environments.

I am using the Canon R6 and do have the EF-EOS adapter, so mount can be EF or RF, that's not an issue.

I also have the Canon EF 100-400mm IS Mk II II f/4-5.6 and use this with the Canon 1.4x Extender Mk III for majority of wildlife photography.

I am looking for a 70-200mm lens.

I have seen Canon's offerings of the following with their pricing

Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 NON IS L series in great condition = £550

Canon EF 70-200 f/4 IS L series in great condition = £550

Canon EF 70-200 f/4 IS Mk II L series in great conditions = £1000

Canon 70-200 f/2.8 Mk II IS L series in great condition = £1049

Cost is the issue at the moment, and unless the f/2.8 Mk II blows the other two out of the water, this potentially is already eliminated and this is also similar to the f/4 Mk II version.

I will mainly use this lens for portrait photography - outdoors, natural lighting, typically family photos and action family photos - I intend to use the lens as wide open for this

I will use it secondarily for closer and intimate shots of wildlife such as Zoo photography. and again intend to use the lens wide open.

Could I please ask for advice in the real world, and anyone who has use of two, three or all of the lenses for similar use as myself, their advice and recommendations.

Equally I am open to suggestions of third party lenses for 70-200 at f/2.8, but again, if their price is quite close to the Canon version, then I would opt for Canon (unless, again, the image quality blows the Canon out of the water)

Cheers

-- hide signature --

M

PhasmatosOculus's gear list:PhasmatosOculus's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon RF 50mm F1.8 STM +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow