Z9 - Rare Challenging Bird (BOS) - High ISO - Buttery BKGND

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Richard300 Contributing Member • Posts: 861
Z9 - Rare Challenging Bird (BOS) - High ISO - Buttery BKGND

Good morning all.

Just got my Z9 recently and decided to run a quick test to see if it met my expectations. Here is the resulting image from my testing:

Now for my findings:

First, you might wonder why I consider this bird to be rare and challenging and what is BOS. BOS stands for Bird On a Stool. Why is this bird rare and challenging. Well, to get the opportunity to photograph this bird, I had to get myself across the Drake Passage to King George Island in Antarctica where the Arctowski Station is located in the hopes that one of these hand crafted figurines was available. As you can see from the image, that challenge was met successfully.

Secondly, High ISO. I know the EXIF shows ISO 100, so to compensate, I took the photo from the second rung of a stepladder elevating the ISO. For those that like technical details, I measured the height of the second rung and it was 22 3/4 inches (58 cm) above ground level so the ISO was almost two feet higher than it would have been in normal shooting conditions.

Finally, the background. A lot of talk about buttery backgrounds comparing different cameras so I decided to test this out. I know the main subject is slightly out of focus but I really wanted the emphasis to be on the buttery background. I think my image shows without a doubt that the Z9 can have very buttery backgrounds. I guess I could have made it more buttery by running to the grocery store and picking up a few more kilos of butter but over the years I have learned to work with what I have or am presented with.

Bottom line is that I think I can work with this camera just fine.

Just a heads up that anyone without a sense of humor that comes here to:

yell at me that they could have gotten better results with different gear need not bother as I

can't hear you.

So everybody should just

chill and enjoy shooting whatever you shoot, with whatever you use to shoot it.

Have a good day

: )

Richard300's gear list:Richard300's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Sony RX100 V Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z9 +8 more
Nikon Z9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow