Coverage and IQ check - Fuji GFX 100S + Fringer EF-GFX Pro + 4 EF lenses

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Manzur Fahim
Manzur Fahim Veteran Member • Posts: 3,754
Coverage and IQ check - Fuji GFX 100S + Fringer EF-GFX Pro + 4 EF lenses

Hello everyone,

I was checking some lenses with the Fringer EF-GFX Pro adapter, and decided to post the result here. Nothing strict and scientific, just a simple check to see how the lenses works with GFX and the adapter.

Camera: Fujifilm GFX 100S

Lenses:

01. Canon EF 85mm F1.4L IS USM (IS OFF)

02. Sigma 105mm F/1.4 DG HSM Art (Updated to latest FW using Sigma dock)

03. Sigma APO 300mm F/2.8 EX DG HSM (Untested lens from Fringer, so the adapter doesn't recognize the lens, and detects it as Fringer 300mm)

04. Canon EF 300mm F/4L IS USM (IS OFF)

05. Fujifilm GF110mmF2 R LM WR

LR settings: Sharpness set to +25, not the default +40.

Full size jpeg files are available for download and pixel peep 😁

https://www.manzurfahim.com/Others/Fuji-GFX-Adapted-lenses/Coverage-comparison-and-IQ/

Canon EF 85mm F/1.4L IS USM @ Full sensor, no correction

Sigma 105mm F/1.4 DG HSM Art @ Full sensor, no correction

Sigma APO 300mm F/2.8 DG HSM @ Full sensor, no correction

Canon EF 300mm F/4L IS USM @ Full sensor, no correction

Canon 85mm AF is fast and spot on, no issues. No hard vignetting, but severe gradual vignetting. Even when the vignetting slider is set to +100, a little can still be seen.

Sigma 105mm might have a very very slight back focusing, as it wasn't easy to focus right on the face, the focus seems to be always very slightly behind. Focus is fast, faster than the Canon 85mm. Vignetting is there but not as severe as the canon. Around +45 vignetting correction fixes it completely.

Sigma 300mm F2.8 lens is way too front heavy, it probably gave me some new muscles already. AF is terrible, it almost always focus hunts, and after some failed attempts, the AF motor stops moving at all, and then I have to power the camera on and off to try again. Tried both Fringer firmware 1.0 and 1.10. It is a little better with 1.0 but still extremely poor AF performance. Vignetting is present and takes about +80 on the slider to correct it.

Canon EF 300mm F4L IS USM has very fast and accurate AF. F4 probably helps too. Vignetting is very little, around +20 on the slider fixes whatever slightly dark corner it has. A good tele alternative for GFX.

Now some more shots taken from a little far away to check how the OOF area looks. I could not go any further with the 300mm lenses than this.

Canon EF 85mm F/1.4L IS USM

Sigma 105mm F/1.4 DG HSM Art

Fujifilm GF110mmF2 R LM WR

Sigma APO 300mm F2.8 EX DG HSM (Missed focus, but this is the only shot I could get), the lens just wouldn't focus anymore.

Canon EF 300mm F/4L IS USM

Sorry for the long post.

Stay safe.

Manzur Fahim's gear list:Manzur Fahim's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GFX 100S Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 Fujifilm GF 23mm F4 Sigma DP2 Merrill +8 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow