Crashcourse Leica M??

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
deednets Forum Pro • Posts: 12,843
Crashcourse Leica M??

I have been dabbling with the idea of getting a Leica M for ... ever?? Not quite but a long time.

And whenever I look at one e.g. a 240 or a 262 I have to admit that I wouldn't have the foggiest as to what the differences are (both models are currently for sale online here in NZ for around the same price).

And then there is the lenses: since both cameras are rangefinders, is there a limit as to what lenses will actually focus? Or can you simply mount any lens and the camera "knows"? Or are they all built the same way so they will simply communicate somehow with the body? Or do they need to be chipped/coded to actually do that?

Where to start? I was looking at maybe a 50/1.4 Voigtländer, but have no idea whether this lens would actually be able to be focused using the rangefinder.

Is there any quickish way to find out how and what is compatible with those bodies? And, focusing, then recomposing the way to go right?

Thanks

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-Pro3 Sony a7R IIIA Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +8 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow